IT358 Unit 7 Synonyms Index and Sequence
Outcomes addressed in this activity:
Describe how the schema objects work
Describe how sequences and indexes are created, modified, and removed within Oracle
Describe when to use an Index
In this project, you will create a view, synonym, and index:
1. Answer the Review Questions #1–5 from Chapter 6.
2. Complete Hands-on Assignments #1-10.
Oracle 11G SQL Chapter 6 Hands-On assignment Solution
1. Create a sequence to use for populating the Customer# column of the CUSTOMERS table. When setting the start and the increment values, keep in mind that data already exists in this table. The options should be set to not cycle the values, not cache any values, and no minimum or maximum values should be declared.
2. Add a new customer row using the sequence created in Question 1. The only data currently available for the customer is as follows: last name = Shoulders, first name = Frank, and zip = 23567.
3. Create a sequence that will generate integers starting with the value 5. Each value should be three less than the previous value generated.The lowest possible value should be 0, and the sequence should not be allowed to cycle. Name the sequence MY_FIRST_SEQ.
4. Issue a SELECT statement that will display NEXTVAL for MY_FIRST_SEQ three times. Because the value is not being placed in a table, use the DUAL table in the FROM clause of the SELECT statement. What causes the error on the last SELECT?
5. Change the setting of MY_FIRST_SEQ so the minimum value that can be generated is –1000.
6. Create a private synonym that will allow you to reference the MY_FIRST_SEQ object as NUMGEN.
7. Use a SELECT statement to view the CURRVAL of NUMGEN. Delete the NUMGEN synonym and MY_FIRST_SEQ.
8. Create a Bitmap index on the CUSTOMERS table to speed up queries that search for customers based on their state of residence. Verify that the index exists, and then delete the index.
9. Create a B-tree index on the customer’s Last Name column. Verify that the index exists by querying the data dictionary. Remove the index from the database.
10. Many queries search by the number of days to ship (number of days between the order and shipping dates). Create an appropriate index that might improve the performance of these queries.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more