(1) To what extent do you agree that Olympic Sportswear provides an example of ‘bureaucracy gone wrong’? How could the organisational structure be changed to make it a more enjoyable (yet still productive) place to work?
Critically examine this question, with reference to the literature on organisational structure and either power & politics or organisational culture.
(2) Some argue that management unethically ‘use’ culture as a form of control to dispel pluralism and increase compliance and conformity. Others suggest that culture is introduced to create a more harmonious and satisfied workforce.Critically assess, with reference to the literature on organisational culture and power & politics, the extent to which culture is used in the case study.
Guidance – individual work in essay format (1,500 words) submit via Blackboard as a single word document
· You are expected to answer one question only. However, in answering that question it is essential that you use scientific knowledge from two topics.
· You are expected to build on the knowledge of UOP topics outlined above. It is essential that you work with relevant theories around power & politics, structure and culture to support your analysis of Olympic Sportswear’s management practices.
· Support theories with detailed evidence of why and how these apply to the examples from the case study.
· Build a balanced argument that does not represent the culture as only good or as only bad; or the structure as only good or as only bad. Remember there are always two sides to any story.
· Do not spend your word count ‘describing’ theories or ‘describing’ in too much detail the examples from the case study. Description should be kept to a minimum the emphasis should be on discussion, analysis and building an argument.
· Use the full word count to maximise your marks.
· Do use Harvard Referencing.
· The marking scheme describes the assessment marking criteria in detail. This can guide you on the standard of work expected and how you construct your answer.
· Read the Coursework Frequently Asked Questions (available on Blackboard).
Please refer to the marking grid produced at the end of this document.
Meeting the marking criteria will require the following:
· Read extensively and use a wide range of theories
· Demonstrate an understanding of these theories without describing them in detail
· Detail aspect of theories with evidence of why and how these apply to the examples from your experience.
· Demonstrate critical thinking. This means making clear arguments that emphasise the relevance and importance of particular insights. For example:
o Develop a line, or lines, of reasoning or argument
o Make points that are evidenced with details from examples from your experience and discuss relevant aspects of your chosen theories/ approaches
o Question the applicability and usefulness of the theories and literature: did it help you to analyse ‘yourself’ and your situation?
o Compare and contrast the relevance of your chosen theories/ models. Are they useful in answering the question about your learning?
o Comment on the limits and relevance of different theories and models to help you answer the question
· Use Harvard Referencing and check your work for structure, clarity and flow.
Formative Feedback and Support
Formative feedback provides opportunities to reflect on your ongoing work and preparation for your assignment. This is given within your TUTORIALS (one hour seminars) which run every week; all students are timetabled to be able to attend one of these. Many tutorialswill include some work on the assignment, this will include: what is expected from you, how to analyse a case study, how to use theories to make sense of real-life experience, assistance with writing, and constructing/ planning your answers, so please
· DO attend all tutorials
· DO think about your piece and ask the questions you need to ask within your tutorials
· You can also arrange to discuss your assignment with your seminar tutor
Further information about this assessment is available on the Blackboard site for this module and includes FAQs and other guidance documents, reading list sections and other useful references.
All work should be word processed in 12 point font Calibri, Times New Roman or Arial and double spaced.
Please use the following file format(s): .doc / .docx (please note that files submitted in formats associated with Apple Mac computers are not able to be opened, and thus, not able to be marked. It is your responsibility to ensure that you submit your coursework in the appropriate format. We cannot ensure that other formats are compatible with markers’ software.
Please ensure that you provide the following details on the first page of your coursework:
· Your student Number
· The module Name and Number
· Your word Count
· This is a 1500 word essay. Please note that 1500 is the absolute maximum. This word count includes everything in the main body of the text (including headings, tables, citations, quotes, lists, etc.).
· The bibliography is NOT included in this word count.
· There is no direct penalty for exceeding the word count, but the marker WILL stop reading once the maximum word limit has been reached and nothing further will be taken into account in the allocation of marks. Hide Files: UOPAssignmentBrief2019.docx
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more